If Merchandise is purchased from stock, immediately available from our warehouse, it must be paid for in full at time of order request. These items can be cancelled for store credit before delivery, provided cancellation is within two weeks of the purchase date. Within two weeks of delivery, these items are eligible for a one time exchange less a 25 % restocking fee.
Upon return, your item will be inspected and exchanges, credits or refunds will be issued for the purchase price. Any taxes charged will be refunded in accordance with applicable laws. Delivery fees are non-refundable with the exception of manufacturer defects or transit damage. MYHome reserves the right to refuse returns or exchanges of items that are not in as-new condition due to damage or misuse by the client.
Special orders are submitted for production immediately upon order placement and are built to your specifications. A non-refundable 30% deposit will be taken when the order is placed; the remaining 70% will be charged upon delivery or when your order is picked up. If you choose to cancel your special order item(s) prior to delivery, your 30% deposit will not be refunded.
Once delivered, special order returns or exchanges due to customer preference or any other reason cannot be accepted.
MY Market / Clearance Items
MY Market Clearance Sale items must be paid in full at time of purchase and cannot be cancelled, returned or exchanged. These items are purchased "as is" and are only eligible for warranty coverage if the issue is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty.